Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Billy's Bakery Pumpkin Square: The wonders of cream cheese frosting

Oh dear readers, I have the best job ever right now. No matter what I do during the day, I get to end my evening with a baked good from Billy's Bakery-- and there is so much that is delicious there, sometimes it's hard to choose. Last night it was the banana cake; tonight I decided to try the pumpkin square. This is one of Billy's seasonal items, and it's been tempting me ever since I started working at the bakery in January.

A hint of demure doily underneath

Well, if you like all things good with the world, I highly, highly recommend you try the pumpkin square. I don't particularly like the taste of pumpkin, so I was a bit wary of the cake part, but it turned out to be a light, moist spice cake-- sort of like a smooth carrot cake studded with pecans. There was a bit of Thanksgiving spice in there (you know, cinnamon, nutmeg, that good stuff), just enough to make the cake tasty but not overpowering. And then the frosting-- Billy's signature cream cheese cloak-- well, I've sung this frosting's praises before. The thick, sweet coat, topped with a pecan or two, was both sinfully rich and soothingly delicious. Is that possible? Yes, yes it is.

Bite en route to mouth

As you can tell by today's absolutely delightful weather, spring is right around the corner, so drop by Billy's and pick up a pumpkin square before they go into spring/summer hibernation. You can start your bathing-suit diet come March.

Billy's Bakery
184 Ninth Avenue
212-647-9956

2 comments:

Kathy YL Chan said...

OH MY GOODNESS. I can't believe I haven't tried this one yet! I always default (and lovelove) the banana pie at Billy's but have not ventured into the decadent territories of the pumpkin square. Will do so on my next visit! :D

Janine said...

Kathy,

Definitely try it-- it's incredibly good. But get in there soon, because we're going to switch over to "spring/summer" seasonal items soon... which means the pumpkin square will become the lemon bar. Which isn't a bad thing in itself, I guess!

Thanks for reading. I'm a huge fan of your blog as well!

Janine