Friday, July 10, 2009

Notes on Citi Field

Last night, I made my way with the whole family to Citi Field, where I consumed many things. As most NYC-ers know by now, Citi Field has abundant and creative food offerings, including outposts of Shake Shack and Blue Smoke. Especially if you're a meat lover, you'll be happy as a clam there. But I made do with several dessert/snack-ish items, as follows:

1) Carvel soft serve, chocolate-vanilla swirl. Creamy, sweet, and delicious-- a solid rendition, which definitely hit the spot. The bro got some later and reported you could get free rainbow sprinkles. I was not offered sprinkles. I was upset.

2) Blue cotton candy. I am obsessed with cotton candy. It tastes like blue sugar (mmm, blue). I've been known to put away significant quantities at once, but unfortunately Citi Field's $4 package was a paltry offering, dispatched in about three minutes flat. Point me to Fenway Park, where they give you about two and a half pounds of cotton candy, which can last me several innings at least.

3) Box Frites. I basically forced the bro to get these, but boy were we both happy. They offer you one dipping sauce with each order of fries, with selections ranging from mayo to olive & pepperoncini to chipotle (spelled "chipolte" on the menu signs) to smoky bacon. The bro went with smokey bacon, so I abstained from the sauce, but let me tell you one thing: if you like french fries, you will LOVE Box Frites' rendition. They are incredibly crisp and tasty and just beg to be scarfed piping hot. Don't be deterred from the long lines; they move relatively quickly, and there are enormous monitors everywhere so you don't miss a second of the game, wherein the Mets might be losing 11-2, thereby making the line at Box Frites actually significantly more entertaining than the game you're missing.

4) Cannoli from Mama's of Corona. Mom came back from an expedition around the food areas (did I mention we were searching for alternate methods of entertainment?) with ample cannoli for everyone, which, given the amount of food I had consumed by this point, presented a bit of a conundrum for me. I solved the "I'm full but oh man I want some cannoli" debate by having a bite of the end of the pastry, decorated in true home-team fashion with blue and orange sprinkles. Fortunately for the future health of my stomach, I wasn't a huge fan of this cannoli; the filling was average, and the pastry shell was heavily spiced with cinnamon, which was a bit of a turnoff for me. Just as well. The bro finished mine off, so I didn't feel too bad.

So there you go-- a brief look at Citi Field from the eyes of my stomach. It was a pretty impressive showing of dessert consumption, if I do say so myself (and I do). Rest assured that when I returned home, I gobbled a delicious Wawa string cheese before collapsing into bed. Heaven.

No comments: