Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Checking out Ben & Jerry's Late Night Snack

The other day, I was in the local Food Emporium and came across a pint of Ben & Jerry's newest flavor, Late Night Snack, inspired by the comedic stylings of Jimmy Fallon (somehow?). I'd read a lot about the flavor online and had been curious to check it out, even though I don't usually eat Ben & Jerry's. But there it was. And it was on sale for $3. So I bought a pint.

Here was my pint

It sat in my freezer for a while, until last weekend, when I got home and decided to crack it open. Here's what I saw:

Where's the magic?

And then I dug in and got myself a scoop. The deal with this flavor is that it's supposedly vanilla ice cream with a "salty caramel swirl" and "fudge covered potato chip clusters." You can see some of the cross-sectioned clusters here:

Mmm, clusters

So how did it taste? Honestly, I didn't detect much of the caramel swirl, but I got a LOT of potato chip flavor. The pop of the truly salty chips (which tasted like Ruffles... mmmm, Ruffles) encased in the cool chocolate and enrobed with the creamy vanilla was a particular kind of tasty.

But I'm not sure I could make this a regular, ahem, Snack. Why? Because it is so, SO rich. I'm not sure if that's just because I haven't had real Ben & Jerry's in a long time and so am not used to the super-high butterfat ice cream style, but lordy, one bite of this stuff and you're pretty full-- it's just fat upon fat upon salt upon chocolate upon fat. And I like me some fat (to say nothing of salt and chocolate), but... still.

Anyway, I would encourage you to give it a try because it's tasty, and if you're up for a rich treat, it'll be right up your alley. But be warned: it's not for the faint of heart.

No comments: