Monday, January 11, 2010

Goodbye, pastries; hello....shawarma

Remember about a year ago when I visited Dousoeur de Paris, the crazy new patisserie on the corner of 46th and 10th? And how the pastries were delicious but incredibly expensive, and the place overall seemed ill-conceived and somewhat out of place? (Of course you don't remember, but there is evidence here.) Well, a few months ago, they went out of business. I was sad, at least in theory, but not surprised. Since then, somebody has been renovating the space, but up until last week there were no indications of what was going to join the neighborhood. Well, turns out it's this:

Paper plywood

Details

"Halal middle east food," that is. "Shawarma, shish kabab, falafel," in fact. Can't say I'm not disappointed. I was hoping for... well... I don't really know what I was hoping for, but it wasn't this. Fans of middle eastern food (an elite crowd of which I am not a member), you're in luck-- not sure how close they are to opening, but give 'em a try once they open. Let's hope they have a better run than poor, poor Dousoeur.

No comments: