Monday, October 18, 2010

A new kind of cupcake from Billy's

The other day, I had the distinct pleasure of helping man the Billy's Bakery booth at the NYC Wine & Food Festival. I dusted off my rusty cupcake-frosting skills to help feed the hungry (and tipsy) sweet-seeking masses. And in return, I got to taste a few of Billy's more unusual creations.

My favorite this time around was a twist on Billy's traditional chocolate-vanilla cupcake. This was a traditional chocolate cake base, but the frosting was vanilla bean-white chocolate buttercream, and there were a few Godiva white chocolate pearls dotting the top. The frosting was creamy and sweet without being cloying, and the real vanilla bean added nuance to keep the concoction from being one-note. It was the perfect foil for the fluffy chocolate cake.

I frosted this beauty myself!

It was delicious. And classy. The best of both worlds.

Billy's Bakery
184 Ninth Avenue and 75 Franklin Street
212-647-9958

No comments: