Wednesday, November 12, 2008

NYC Icy: It's cold out.

Yes, it's November. And yes, it's freakin' cold out. But my stomach knows no limits when it comes to NYC Icy, and on the way home from work today, I was craving some. So I headed down 44th street and made my way towards the storefront. Now, I'll add that last week, I had attempted the same post-work swing-by, and NYC Icy was closed! Horrors! So I was being cautiously optimistic and not getting my hopes up too high... but lo and behold, the ice cream gods smiled upon me, and the Icy was open.

Needless to say, I was the only customer for miles, so I struck up a conversation with the friendly man working the store (he's my favorite of the NYC Icyites and always very nice). He admitted that business had gone wayyyyyy down (not suprising, I suppose), and that their winter hours would be shorter, closing at 9 or 10 instead of 2AM. I told him I'd do my part to keep up the business, and as such ordered a cup of the Shazzam cream icy, a black raspberry cream flavor studded with milk and white chocolate chips.

It's...magical?

Now, it won't win any beauty contests any time soon (it's a frankly pretty unappealing muddy gray/purple color), but the curious mild flavor grows on you. The black raspberry is mellow and almost retiring, and it's perked up by the odd large chunk of chocolate that startles your tongue. I had gone into NYC Icy assuming I'd get a cup of Nutella, but when I tasted both Nutella and Shazzam, I surprised myself for opting for the Shazzam. It was delicious, and as a special bonus it didn't melt into a soupy mess before I made it home. Must be the frigid winds and near-freezing temperatures! (I jest. Sort of.)

So the moral of this story is: Go to NYC Icy. They have delicious ice cream and pints for takeout (now in both icy and cream icy flavors). And they need your business. It's an affordable pleasure in these tough times, and as I've said before, it'll bring a smile to your face.

No comments: