Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A gelato break at Tarallucci e Vino

Tarallucci e Vino in Union Square is one of those places I think I've been to before. It seems familiar... but I'm not sure. Perhaps it was a while ago? Regardless, last night I met SL there for dessert and coffee, escaping the madness of Union Square on a chilly but rain-free night.

The servers at TeV are very friendly, and the dining room is buzzy without being pretentious. We settled in and placed an order: tea for SL, gelato for me. The tea came in a large pot, and for only a few dollars for several full teacups, it was a good value. My gelato came in a clear bowl, three scoops to an order, my choice of flavors (which rotate often). I chose vanilla, coconut, and Bailey's, which made for a motley trio. The coconut and Bailey's were the standouts here-- true to flavor, strong and smooth and tasty. The vanilla was completely eclipsed by the more assertive flavors, but it too was creamy and sweet. There was a dollop of something I supposed was whipped cream on top, but it had a curious texture-- more like Cool Whip or marshmallow fluff than traditional whipped cream. The classic wrapped Italian cigarette wafer was crackly and crumbly and provided good textural contrast to the gelato. All in all, a solid dessert, although a bit pricey at $10.

Shades of beige

I'd return to TeV for real food and to try the more elaborate Italian desserts. For ice cream, however, next time I might just stop at the Big Gay Ice Cream Truck parked around the corner and save a few dollars.

Tarallucci e Vino
15 East 18th Street, between 5th Avenue and Broadway
212-228-5400

No comments: