Thursday, December 2, 2010

Baked & Wired still the best

After my second evening at Proof, I headed back to my hotel room to indulge in something I'd been waiting for for a very, very long time. No, not that. No, not that either. I'm talking cupcakes, people; specifically, cupcakes from Baked & Wired. After work that day, I'd walked all the way to B&W's shop in Georgetown to pick up a Karen's Birthday cupcake-- chocolate cake with white frosting. I carried it with me all the way to Proof, kept it safe through dinner, and then went to town back in my room.

After the Georgetown Cupcakes/B&W head-to-head taste test last year (wherein B&W won handily), I'd been craving this cupcake on and off. And unwrapping it this time around, I was looking forward to the magic. While the experience was slightly different this time around, it was still seriously good. First, there was some interesting marbling going on, as if some dollops of vanilla cake accidentally made its way into the batter.

Little bits of vanilla in there?

Second, the cake wasn't quite as deep and fudgy this time around; more fluffy and springy, it still packed a powerful chocolate taste and a moist-enough texture. The frosting, as I had remembered, was my favorite kind-- vanilla, sugary, and perfect with the cake. And even the cupcake paper, which gives some extra nooks and crannies to the confection, added to the experience.

Like a beautiful rose

Baked & Wired is seriously good. The cupcakes aren't cheap (almost $4, as I recall), but they're completely worth it. Next time I'm in town, I'll absolutely be back. And who knows-- maybe I'll even make some excuse to go to DC simply for the cupcakes. Stranger things have happened...

Baked and Wired
1052 Thomas Jefferson Street NW
Washington, DC
202-333-2500

No comments: