Thursday, January 20, 2011

Black Hound FAIL

So again, last week I found myself with a cake I ordered online. Again, don't ask. This time, it was from Black Hound, another bakery in NYC that's known for shipping its cakes. I had high hopes for this checkerboard cake, which was appealingly decorated in buttercream and ganache.

Purty

As I cut into it, I found a really visually enticing checkerboard pattern. The cake is really well-crafted, I'll give them that, despite the fact that the chocolate cake crumbs on the sides of the cake spill everywhere when you try to move the confection.

Busy

But I knew almost instantly I wouldn't really like the taste. The cake itself wasn't bad, but it was rimmed on all sides with buttercream, both chocolatey (which had a bit of a mocha tang) and vanilla. And I could tell just by looking that this, sadly, was exactly the type of frosting I don't like-- absurdly buttery and greasy, kind of like shoving a stick of butter right in your face. Blech. It's not even really sweet, and with that unpleasant mouthfeel-- just... no. I took one bite and dumped the slice in the trash.

So, I'll say this: If you're a fan of the Cupcake Cafe's cupcakes, you'll like this cake. If you're not (that is, if you have my frosting preferences), you won't. The end.

Black Hound
Order online

No comments: