Thursday, January 6, 2011

Mail-order frozen cake? A follow-up

So I told you about the mail-order caramel cake from Caroline's Cakes. And I told you that, apparently, you can thaw it and refreeze it many times to just steal a slice or two whenever you want. And I believe I also told you that I was skeptical.

Well, last weekend I tried the first re-thaw. I pulled the cake, with slice missing from my initial forays the week before, out of the freezer and left it on the counter for a few hours. I had wrapped it loosely in plastic wrap and put it in its tin, anticipating that the whole thing would taste like freezer once it thawed for the second time.

I crept in after dinner to steal another slice, and once again I was blown away. It was exactly the same as the first time-- same crumbly, dry-ish but still tasty vanilla cake, same heavenly, outrageous frosting. Even the exposed interior of the cake didn't suffer; unlike a cake with a cut side exposed to air, this didn't develop off-flavors or a different texture. It was truly remarkable.

Of course, this was only the first repeat freeze-and-thaw; I'm still skeptical that this cake can withstand months of repeated temperature changes without a decline in quality. But we'll see. Given the success thus far, it's safe to say that I'll be testing this puppy for weeks to come.

Caroline's Cakes
Available for shipping

No comments: