Monday, December 14, 2009

I made biscuits!

Last week I had some buttermilk in the fridge (leftover from a semi-successful black-and-white cookie project) and some extra cheddar cheese. So I made biscuits! Cheddar-buttermilk biscuits, to be exact. And they looked like this:

I didn't have a biscuit cutter so I used the rim of a glass. Still came out relatively round.

Yummm

Later that evening, I delivered them to AV, and I tried a taste. I admit I'm definitely not a biscuit connoisseur, but these were pretty good taste-wise. However, texturally, they were on the crumbly side rather than the flaky side. I used butter rather than shortening or lard, because a) that's what the recipe called for, and b) I'm much more of a fan of butter than either of the alternatives. Is it possible to make flaky butter-baked biscuits? Any tips or tricks? Maybe I'll make perfect, flaky biscuits my next recipe quest. If you have the answer, email me or leave a comment...

No comments: