Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Checking out the offerings at Ink48

I warn you, this is going to be one of my lamer reviews. With that caveat, let's proceed:

Last week, in a rare mid-week burst of socializing, AV and I went out for drinks. We were at my place, so we decided to head west and check out the bar at Ink48, the new Kimpton hotel at the corner of 48th and 11th. The restaurant there, Print, just opened, and we're aiming to check that out soon. But in the meantime, we sat in the round-backed wicker stools at the bar and relaxed with drinks.

The lobby is beautiful, with coves of cushy couches for canoodling, soothing yet colorful decor, and interesting lighting fixtures. The bar is decked out with place settings and those comfortable-enough barstools (they were somewhat awkwardly wide and deep, but at least they had backs-- that's key).

So what did we have? We asked for both the cocktail menu and the wines-by-the-glass menu. I took pictures of both, and then I deleted them accidentally. So, I'm sorry. [See caveat above.] Most of the wines by the glass were relatively expensive; the menu also claimed that many of them were biodynamic. Sure. I went with a glass of prosecco, which turned out to be one of the most delicious glasses of bubbly I've ever had. Seriously! I can't even pinpoint why, it just was phenomenal.

Naturally, there's no picture of this delight, as I deleted it. Yup.

We do, however, have a picture of AV's cocktail. Nope, I don't have a name or even a good memory of what was in it. But it was grapefruit-based, which I thought I wouldn't like, but a few sips revealed it was actually quite delicious: well-crafted, not too sweet but not too acrid either. This one was a winner-- and if you go to check out the bar and want to try it, just search the menu for the cocktail with a lot of grapefruit in it and you'll be good.

This is all I got

So, in short, we will be back, likely both for drinks and for food at Print. I promise then to bring my camera and my wits about me so I don't accidentally delete all the evidence. Oh, and there's a rooftop bar opening in the hotel sometime in March. Can we say "can't wait"?

Print/Ink48
653 11th Avenue, at 48th Street
212-757-2224

No comments: