Wednesday, July 7, 2010

LWF&D does the Wine Century Club: Week 1


So week 1 of my quest to join the Wine Century Club has drawn to a close. How did I do? Not badly, I think, given the circumstances.

My first check-mark came at dinner last Saturday night, at Zucca in the West Village (review to come). One sip of AS's glass of pinot grigio, and I was on the board. Count it!

My first full entrant, however, came two days later at the Boat Basin, of all places. While the rest of my wiffle ball team celebrated our smashing 17-9 victory with pitchers of beer, I ordered a glass of sparkling white zinfindel. I didn't even know this undignified drink existed, but it does, apparently. It was served in a plastic glass, and it was warm and only mildly bubbly. But zinfindel it was. And there you have it.

Yup, sparkling white zin

Then, last Wednesday, I met up with DA at Riposo 46 to catch up on the past two years. As we discussed his world travels, I sipped a La Poule Blanche, a blend of chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, and viognier. Since I anticipate both chardonnay and sauvignon blanc will be relatively easy to get elsewhere, I'll count this sharp and somewhat astringent mixture as my viognier taste. DA ordered a chenin blanc, and a taste of that revealed that it was lightly fruity and actually much more appealing than my own blend. In any case, count that as well.

Bucket 'o' blend

Still one of the best deals in town...

Oh, and we accompanied our beverages with one of their fantastic manchego cheese plates. Mmmm.

So there we go-- the first week of the WCC down, and I'm on the board for four varietals: pinot gris, chenin blanc, zinfindel, and viognier. What will next week bring? We shall see...

No comments: