Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The best popsicle I ever ate

I was at the Hester Street Fair, and it was an incredibly beautiful day. It was warm and sunny. And it was mid-afternoon, definitely time for a snack. What was a girl to do?

Head right on over to La Newyorkina, of course. Purveyors of "Mexican style popsicles," this little booth had frozen treats in lots of interesting flavors: Hibiscus, Passion Fruit, Chile-Mango... but of course, I went straight for the Coconut.

La Newyorkina. Their menu is pink!

At $4, this wasn't a cheap treat, but it was absolutely, unequivocally, 100% worth it. It's a substantial hunk of frozen coconut. The cool iciness hits your tongue first, and then the coconutty creaminess joins the party, coating your tongue with refreshing richness. This is real coconut, so the texture is shard-like rather than a smooth ice, breaking off into linear hunks rather than melting into oblivion. And the greatest bonus of all is that there are honest-to-goodness, several-inch-long shavings of coconut frozen right into the bar, so as you consume the pop (or it melts down, occasionally dripping on your leg... I'm just sayin'), every now and then you uncover a coconut gem and get to do some chewing. It's like a little reward for all your hard, popsicle-eating work.

The pop

A coconut shard!

Close up of the coconut

It's hard to describe how delicious this was. I'm not even really a hard-core popsicle fan; I'll always choose ice cream over an icy. But this was worth seeking out, and given that it took me probably about 10-15 minutes to eat the whole pop, I felt I got my money's worth. This was a five Offset Spatula ice pop if ever there were one.

La Newyorkina
Hester Street Fair
Intersection of Hester and Essex Streets
Saturdays and Sundays, 10AM-6PM, April-December

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I would definitely go for the coconut too! That coconut shard looks amazing in there.

Janine said...

@Emily, the coconut shards were the best part :-)