Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Brunch at Cookshop gets 'er done

Over the holiday weekend, I met up with PR for brunch at Cookshop. Usually I expect something of a scene there, but maybe because people were out of town, it was actually relatively low key. There were empty tables. The servers seemed laid back. It was actually quite... pleasant.

They started us off with a couple of slices of bread-- standard fare, rustic slices of the kind you see at a bunch of places around town. Add some soft butter and you've got a good carbohydrate base, especially if brunch is a palliative for the night before (not that it was in this case. I'm just sayin').

Starting things off

PR went straight for the eggs and bacon. The Cookshop Scramble came with caramelized onions creme fraiche, and chives; there were big pieces of thick bacon mixed into the eggs, and the whole mixture was plopped on a big ol' buttermilk biscuit. The side salad was studiously avoided as PR made her way through the protein. While the portion was too huge to finish, she gave her hearty approval of the dish overall.

A whole mess of stuff

My choice was the relatively paltry Seasonal Fruit Salad. I'm not sure what season they were going for, actually, since this salad contained the following fruit: banana, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, strawberries. I'm not too big on banana, grapefruit, or orange (note: this is why you should ask what things contain before ordering them), but this salad was decent overall. Everything was fresh enough, and while it was rather small for $6, it did the trick.

Fruit salad in tiny cup

I'm not sure I'm really qualified to assign a spatula rating based on one tiny fruit side salad, but frankly I'm not qualified to assign spatulas in any situation, so I'm going to do it anyway. Cookshop receives three Offset Spatulas. Is it the best restaurant in the city? No. Is it pleasant? Yes. Would I go again? Sure. And there you go.

Cookshop
156 Tenth Avenue, at 20th Street
212-924-4440

No comments: