Saturday, June 26, 2010

LWF&D attempts to join the Wine Century Club

Dearest readers,

Inspired by an article in this morning's WSJ, I have decided to try to join the Wine Century Club. For the uninitiated (don't worry, that includes me!), to join the Wine Century Club, one most taste wines of 100 different varietals, which are outlined in the club's membership application. There aren't many rules beyond that, but I've created my own rules for this quest:

1) Previously-tasted wines don't count. That is, as of today, I start off with a clean slate and no boxes checked on my chart-- to check off a varietal, even if I've had it before, I have to taste it again after today.
2) One wine on one wine-tasting occasion only counts for one grape varietal. So if the wine is a blend of several varietals, I can choose which one to check off, but I can't claim more than one for one wine-tasting occasion. However, if I subsequently drink that same or a similar wine again at a different occasion, I can check off a different varietal in the blend. Got it? Good!
3) I have no idea how long this is going to take, but I aim to complete my Centuryship by my 26th birthday, which will occur on July 6, 2011. That gives me a bit more than a year to get 'er done. Given the amount of wine I drink on a regular basis, this will be difficult. But I plan to chronicle my adventures on this blog, thereby beefing up the "and drink" part of this blog's title.

Any questions? Feel free to email me at lifewithfoodanddrink@gmail.com and I'll make up some answers. Know where to get some of the obscurer varietals on the list? Want to send me some wine? Email me, suckahs. Oh, and feel free to play along as well. The more, the merrier!

Current tally: 0 and counting...

Yours in vino,

Janine

No comments: